Read & Write GOLD: Personal Software to help with homework
MSU student, faculty and staff can get a free copy of Read & Write GOLD (RWG).
RWG is an award - winning software tool that can help students improve writing, research, study skills and reading. RWG also has a variety of tools built in to benefit English Language Learner users who may struggle with reading fluency, comprehension, and word pronunciation.
RWG can help whether you are a freshman, a graduate student, or somewhere in between; no matter what your ability level or learning style is.
Tools included with Read & Write Gold:
- Text-to-speech, including Speech Maker, which converts text into a downloadable sound file such as MP3 so you can listen to your study guides and other papers on the go. Text is read aloud, including websites and PDF Files, with dual highlighting using custom, natural sounding voices. Text-to Speech is highly customizable, and can read aloud by each word, sentence, paragraph, or selected text. The voices are also customizable and can be adjusted to suit the user by altering the pitch, speed, volume and/or word pause.
- Phonetic spell checker analyzes and corrects spelling and returns more suggestions for common spelling errors. Definitions for word choices can also be shown and read aloud.
- Word Prediction learns your writing style and predicts the word you are typing and the word you want to use next. It also increases accuracy while reducing key strokes.
- Summary feature allows you to summarize a Microsoft Word document by trimming down its content by 0% to 75%
- On screen highlighting can highlight and extract text from any document or website to create study guides, outlines, or to complete assignments using different highlight colors. Highlight with different colors, and then collect the highlighted text to create a new document.
- Speech-to-text allows users to convert speech to text. This voice recognition tool makes use of a simple training program with audible prompts to prepare the computer for recognizing the speaker's voice.
- Word Wizard provides a great choice of alternative words and provides a list of linking words. Each of the descriptions and sample sentences can be read by RWG to help find the word to use.
Read & Write GOLD’s customizable, easy to use toolbar seamlessly integrates with familiar applications including Microsoft Word, Internet Explorer, and Adobe Reader, Chrome, Google Docs and Firefox, allowing students to access the support tools they need from within mainstream software programs.
Students, faculty and staff can access the software on computers in instrumented classrooms and clusters, and they have the option to install the software for free on personal and MSU–owned computers. Download the Windows or Mac version of Read & Write GOLD to install on your personal computer below.
Download Read & Write GOLD Here
For additional information on how Read & Write GOLD works, please access these useful links and video tutorials created by the makers of RWG:
For any further information related to Read & Write Gold and Murray State University, please contact the Office of Student Disability Services.