ArticlesArticles Most Popular ArticlesMost Popular Articles Most Helpful ArticlesMost Helpful Articles Submit A QuestionSubmit A Question
RSS Feeds
DrillDown Icon Home
DrillDown Icon Welcome
DrillDown Icon Administrative / Procedures
DrillDown Icon Banner 9 Training Materials
DrillDown Icon Canvas
DrillDown Icon Forms
DrillDown Icon Academic Affairs
DrillDown Icon Accounting
DrillDown Icon Center for Adult and Regional Education (CARE)
DrillDown Icon Employees
DrillDown Icon Facilities Management
DrillDown Icon Financial Aid
DrillDown Icon Human Resources
DrillDown Icon Information Systems
DrillDown Icon Police Department (MSU PD)
DrillDown Icon Procurement Services
DrillDown Icon Registrar's Office
DrillDown Icon Academic Second Chance
DrillDown Icon Academic Suspension Appeals Hearing
DrillDown Icon Access to Student Data in myGate or Banner
DrillDown Icon Audit/Time Conflict Permission Form
DrillDown Icon Certification Request Form
DrillDown Icon Consent to Release Student Information
DrillDown Icon Course Exception Form (Substitution) - Undergraduate
DrillDown Icon Departmental Challenge Examination
DrillDown Icon Duplicate Diploma Request
DrillDown Icon Grade Appeal
DrillDown Icon Graduate Course Overload Form
DrillDown Icon Graduate Forms and Graduation Requirements
DrillDown Icon Late Degree Application-Undergraduate
DrillDown Icon Major/Advisor/Catalog Change Form - Undergraduate
DrillDown Icon P2S Major Declaration Form
DrillDown Icon Preferred First Name Change Request Form
DrillDown Icon Student Name Change Request Form
DrillDown Icon Transcript Request Form for Current Full-Time or Retired Faculty/Staff or Racer Academy Instructors
DrillDown Icon Tuition Waivers
DrillDown Icon Undergraduate Course Overload Form
DrillDown Icon University Studies Course Substitution-Undergraduate
DrillDown Icon Veterans Affairs Forms and Documents
DrillDown Icon Scholarships
DrillDown Icon Students
DrillDown Icon Telecommunications
DrillDown Icon University Advancement / Alumni / Development
DrillDown Icon Listservs
DrillDown Icon Mobile Devices
DrillDown Icon myGate
DrillDown Icon Network / Internet Access
DrillDown Icon Other
DrillDown Icon Police Dept/Emergency Management
DrillDown Icon RacerMail / Google Apps
DrillDown Icon University Libraries
  Email This ArticlePrint PreviewPrint Preview Current Article/Category with all Sub-Articles/Sub-Categories
Departmental Challenge Examination

Procedure for Departmental Challenge Request:

  1. The student must contact the appropriate department for the exam they are requesting before registering and paying for the exam.  The department will make sure the exam is available and that the student is qualified to take the exam.
  2. By clicking on the Departmental Challenge link on the Academics tab or accessing the Departmental Challenge page directly, the student selects the link (below) with the exam(s) they wish to register for and pays for the exam(s) with a debit or credit card through the Marketplace Store.
  3. An email request is sent to the department.  
  4. The department contacts the student to schedule the exam(s).
  5. If the student successfully passes the challenge exam(s), the department chair/representative will send notification to the Office of the Registrar.
  6. Credit will be posted to the student's academic record if the student is currently enrolled.

Register & Pay for Departmental Challenge Exams



Q. Does the person who wishes to take a challenge exam have to be a student at Murray State?

A. No. They could be planning to enroll at Murray State and already working with the department to receive challenge credit. If they do not have a myGate account, there will be a link on the Office of the Registrar website where they can access the Marketplace store site. However, departmental challenge credit will not be posted to a student's transcript until they are enrolled at MSU.

Q. Does the person have to pay for the challenge exam?

A. Yes, payment is required at the time of request. The email request will not be sent to the department until payment is completed.

Q. Does the person have to register for the exam before they take it?

A. Yes, page 41 of the 2013-14 Bulletin states "All costs connected with a particular examination must be met by the student prior to the testing date." The same is true when a person registers for the AP or CLEP exams. They must register and pay for before taking the exam. Taking the exam does not guarantee the student will receive credit.

Q. Can students challenge a graduate-level course?

A. No, page 40 of the 2016-17 Bulletin states "Graduate students may not obtain graduate credit through testing" and "Graduate Students - Murray State University does not grant credit for correspondence courses, portfolio-based experiential learning, or for the completion of a challenge examination or any national testing-for-credit in any courses."

Q. Can the exam be taken more than once?

A. No, page 40 of the 2016-17 Bulletin states "A departmental challenge examination may only be taken once."

Q. Can the exam credit mark off a previous passing or failing grade earned for the same course?

A. No, page 40 of the 2016-17 Bulletin states "Departmental challenge credit may not be used as a repeat of a course taken earlier. A grade received in a regular course may not be changed by departmental challenge examination."

Q. What if a student wants to challenge a course but it is not listed on Marketplace?

A. The student should contact the department to see if a challenge exam is offered for that course. If so, the department representative should contact the Office of the Registrar to get it added to the Marketplace store.
Modified 3/28/2017
Article ID: 714