ArticlesArticles Most Popular ArticlesMost Popular Articles Most Helpful ArticlesMost Helpful Articles Submit A QuestionSubmit A Question
RSS Feeds
DrillDown Icon Home
DrillDown Icon Welcome
DrillDown Icon Administrative / Procedures
DrillDown Icon Accounting
DrillDown Icon Admissions
DrillDown Icon Center for Adult and Regional Education (CARE)
DrillDown Icon Financial Aid
DrillDown Icon Human Resources
DrillDown Icon Payroll
DrillDown Icon Procurement Services
DrillDown Icon Registrar's Office
DrillDown Icon Academic Bulletin
DrillDown Icon Academic Regulations
DrillDown Icon Academic Second Chance
DrillDown Icon Academic Suspension Appeals Hearing
DrillDown Icon Accelerated Graduate Admission and Credit
DrillDown Icon Access to Student Data in myGate or Banner
DrillDown Icon Advising Holds
DrillDown Icon Audit/Time Conflict/Permission Form
DrillDown Icon Calendars and Scheduling
DrillDown Icon Changing Your Address on myGate
DrillDown Icon Commencement Information
DrillDown Icon Consent to Release Student Information
DrillDown Icon Departmental Challenge Examination
DrillDown Icon Dropping/Adding a Class
DrillDown Icon Duplicate Diploma Request
DrillDown Icon Enrollment Verification
DrillDown Icon Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
DrillDown Icon FERPA for Faculty, Staff, and Student Employees
DrillDown Icon FERPA Training (Online)
DrillDown Icon FERPA Request for Non-Disclosure
DrillDown Icon Grades
DrillDown Icon Grade Appeal
DrillDown Icon Graduation Information Change
DrillDown Icon Military Activation Withdrawals
DrillDown Icon Pre-Registration Verification
DrillDown Icon RACR (Degree Audit)
DrillDown Icon Registration Agreement (4/2/2014)
DrillDown Icon Registering for Classes
DrillDown Icon Registration Holds
DrillDown Icon Residency for Tuition Purposes
DrillDown Icon Residency for Tuition Purposes FAQ
DrillDown Icon Second Baccalaureate or Associate Degree
DrillDown Icon Submitting Grades on myGate (for instructors)
DrillDown Icon Transcripts (Ordering)
DrillDown Icon Undergraduate Course Overload Form
DrillDown Icon Undergraduate Degree Application and Graduation Requirements
DrillDown Icon Undergraduate Graduation
DrillDown Icon Veterans Affairs: Getting Started at MSU
DrillDown Icon Withdrawal From Murray State
DrillDown Icon Scholarships
DrillDown Icon Telecommunications
DrillDown Icon Banner 9 Training Materials
DrillDown Icon Canvas
DrillDown Icon Forms
DrillDown Icon Listservs
DrillDown Icon Mobile Devices
DrillDown Icon myGate
DrillDown Icon Network / Internet Access
DrillDown Icon Other
DrillDown Icon Police Dept/Emergency Management
DrillDown Icon RacerMail / Google Apps
DrillDown Icon University Libraries
  Email This ArticlePrint PreviewPrint Preview Current Article/Category with all Sub-Articles/Sub-Categories
Dropping/Adding a Class

All registration and drop/add processing must be done through myGate.

Students choose their classes from the Look Up Classes link on their Academics tab in myGate.

For information on specific deadline dates for drop/add/audit refer to the Calendars webpage or myGate Academics tab, Deadlines Channel.

For information concerning auditing, please see Audit/Time Conflict Permission article. 

To ADD a closed class, a student must contact the instructor of the class. If approved, the instructor will give the "Closed Course" override through their myGate. After the closed course override is given, the student MUST add the class by entering the CRN through their Academics tab by the published add deadline.  For semester deadlines, please check the Calendars webpage.


Drop/Add Frequently Asked Questions

How do I add classes?
Students add/register for classes on their myGate Academics tab.

How do I drop one or more of my classes?
Students must drop classes through their Academics tab on myGate.  Choose Add or Drop Individual Classes link under Registration Tools. For drop deadlines, see the Calendars webpage.

NOTE: Student athletes and international students must contact their athletic advisor and/or international advisor, respectively, prior to making any changes to their schedules.

How do I drop ALL my classes for the current semester?
Students dropping all classes may do so by accessing the "Withdraw From All Courses" link under the Student Links channel on their Academics tab on myGate.  Date restrictions apply for dropping and withdrawing from the semester.  See Calendars for drop/withdrawal deadlines.
You will not be withdrawn from the semester until you complete this electronic process.  All library books must be returned before a withdrawal form can be processed. Email confirmation to your MSU email address will be sent when you have submitted your withdrawal request and again after your request has been processed. Any further questions, contact the Registration Office, 270-809-2394 or

How do I take an overload of classes?
A minimum of sophomore standing is required in addition to a minimum of a 3.0 GPA for undergraduate students.  Graduate students require a minimum of a 3.0 GPA.  For the full policy refer to the Undergraduate Bulletin or Graduate Bulletin for overload requirements.  If requirements are met, submit an approved overload form to the Registration Office, basement of Sparks Hall, for processing.  For further questions, contact the Registration Office, 270-809-2934 or

How do I add an upper level course if I am classified as a freshman or sophomore?
Contact the Registration Office, 270-809-2394 or for assistance.  Refer to the Undergraduate Bulletin.

What does it mean to "audit" a course?
To audit means to attend and participate in class without earning a regular letter grade. Audited classes are listed on a student’s permanent record with a grade of AU and no credit hours. Instructors have the authority to fail a student from an audited course if he or she does not do the required work, or fails to attend the class. Class attendance is required.

How do I audit a course?
To AUDIT, a student must have a permission form approved with full signatures of the instructor of the course. This form must be submitted to the Registration Office, basement, Sparks Hall, for processing before the deadline to audit. Instructors have the authority to fail a student from an audited course if he or she does not do the required work, or fails to attend the class.
NOTE: Student athletes must discuss auditing a class prior to submitting an approved audit form to the Registration Office.  Date restrictions apply for dropping and withdrawing from the semester.  See Calendars for audit deadlines.

How do I repeat a course? What effect does a repeat have on my permanent record?

The student registers for the class to be repeated through their myGate Academics tab. The myGate system automatically recognizes the class as a repeated class. The last attempt is calculated into the G.P.A. All other attempts remain on the transcript as part of your academic history, but are not calculated into the GPA.

How do I view and print a copy of my schedule?
Students can view and print their class schedule through their Student Links channel on their myGate Academics tab.

Will I receive a refund?
A student who completes a schedule change may receive a reduction in charges for tuition and/or course fee(s) if the student (1) drops below full-time, (2) is part-time and drops a class, or (3) is full-time and drops a class with a refundable course fee.  All types of refunds, if applicable, will be in accordance with the refund table listed in the current Schedule of Fees.
Students who wish to appeal their tuition refund amount must do so in writing to the Withdrawal Appeals Committee, Bursar's Office, Murray State University, 200 Sparks Hall, Murray, KY 42071-3312.  For a link to the appeal form, click here.




Modified 3/28/2017
Article ID: 873