ArticlesArticles Most Popular ArticlesMost Popular Articles Most Helpful ArticlesMost Helpful Articles Submit A QuestionSubmit A Question
RSS Feeds
DrillDown Icon Home
DrillDown Icon Welcome
DrillDown Icon Administrative / Procedures
DrillDown Icon Accounting
DrillDown Icon Admissions
DrillDown Icon Center for Adult and Regional Education (CARE)
DrillDown Icon Financial Aid
DrillDown Icon Human Resources
DrillDown Icon Payroll
DrillDown Icon Procurement Services
DrillDown Icon Registrar's Office
DrillDown Icon Academic Bulletin
DrillDown Icon Academic Regulations
DrillDown Icon Academic Second Chance
DrillDown Icon Academic Suspension Appeals Hearing
DrillDown Icon Access to Student Data in myGate or Banner
DrillDown Icon Advising Holds
DrillDown Icon Audit/Time Conflict/Permission Form
DrillDown Icon Calendars and Scheduling
DrillDown Icon Changing Your Address on myGate
DrillDown Icon Commencement Information
DrillDown Icon Consent to Release Student Information
DrillDown Icon Departmental Challenge Examination
DrillDown Icon Dropping/Adding a Class
DrillDown Icon Duplicate Diploma Request
DrillDown Icon Enrollment Verification
DrillDown Icon Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
DrillDown Icon FERPA for Faculty, Staff, and Student Employees
DrillDown Icon FERPA Training (Online)
DrillDown Icon FERPA Request for Non-Disclosure
DrillDown Icon Grades
DrillDown Icon Grade Appeal
DrillDown Icon Graduation Information Change
DrillDown Icon Military Activation Withdrawals
DrillDown Icon Pre-Registration Verification
DrillDown Icon RACR (Degree Audit)
DrillDown Icon Registration Agreement (4/2/2014)
DrillDown Icon Registering for Classes
DrillDown Icon Registration Holds
DrillDown Icon Residency for Tuition Purposes
DrillDown Icon Residency for Tuition Purposes FAQ
DrillDown Icon Second Baccalaureate or Associate Degree
DrillDown Icon Submitting Grades on myGate (for instructors)
DrillDown Icon Transcripts (Ordering)
DrillDown Icon Undergraduate Course Overload Form
DrillDown Icon Undergraduate Degree Application and Graduation Requirements
DrillDown Icon Undergraduate Graduation
DrillDown Icon Veterans Affairs: Getting Started at MSU
DrillDown Icon Withdrawal From Murray State
DrillDown Icon Scholarships
DrillDown Icon Telecommunications
DrillDown Icon Banner 9 Training Materials
DrillDown Icon Canvas
DrillDown Icon Forms
DrillDown Icon Listservs
DrillDown Icon Mobile Devices
DrillDown Icon myGate
DrillDown Icon Network / Internet Access
DrillDown Icon Other
DrillDown Icon Police Dept/Emergency Management
DrillDown Icon RacerMail / Google Apps
DrillDown Icon University Libraries
  Email This ArticlePrint PreviewPrint Preview Current Article/Category with all Sub-Articles/Sub-Categories
Undergraduate Degree Application and Graduation Requirements

Applying for Graduation

Instructions for applying on myGate

•Log on to myGate

•Select the Academics tab

•Select the Apply to Graduate link in the Student Links Channel

•Follow the prompts and at the end of the application you will pay the application fee.

Degrees are awarded in December, May and August. Students must apply for graduation and pay a degree fee via myGate. If the student does not meet graduation requirements, the application will automatically be moved to the next graduation term. Should the student fail to meet the degree requirements by the deadline for that graduation term, the student’s name will be removed from the pending graduation list. It will then be the student’s responsibility to submit a new Graduation Application via myGate by the deadline for the term in which the student plans to graduate. The new application will result in another. All communication regarding graduation status and outstanding degree requirements will be sent to the student through MSU email only.

Undergraduate Students

All undergraduate students (those applying for a baccalaureate or associate degree) are expected to apply for graduation by the dates given below. To apply, a student must complete the graduation application on the Academics tab in myGate. Late applications are accepted at the discretion of the Graduation Office. 

Deadlines for Completing Undergraduate Graduation Applications

May Graduation - Approximately Nov. 1
August Graduation - Approximately March 1
December Graduation - Approximately April 1

**All dates are approximate. The actual date will be given on the university calendar.

All degree applications are checked to make sure the student is taking or planning to take all courses needed for graduation. A RACR (degree audit) is "frozen" and made available to both the student and advisor by following the appropriate Degree Works link. It is the student’s responsibility to follow all instructions given on the degree application. Failure to do so could result in a delay of graduation. Any questions regarding degree application completion, etc., may be directed to the Graduation Office staff.

The Registrar’s Office must be notified in writing if a change in graduation date is expected.

Undergraduate General Requirements

A minimum of 120 semester hours are required for a Baccalaureate degree. Sixty semester hours are required for an Associate degree. Some degree programs may require more.

The minimum number of semester hours required for a baccalaureate degree depends on your catalog declared. The range is between 120 - 128.

MAT 095, MAT 096, MAT 100, MAT 105, ENG 095, ENG 109, ENG 110, GUI 096, GUI 097, INT 110, MAT 118, REA 095, REA 100, and ENG 100 are remedial courses at MSU and do not count toward graduation. Please refer to the academic Bulletin for a complete list of remedial courses. Any student having these courses must take additional credit hours to make up for each one of these courses taken. For example, a student who has taken MAT 100 will need to take another 3 credit hour course.

Forty-two upper level hours (300 level or above) are required.

An overall gpa of 2.0 is required for graduation. Students must also have a 2.0 GPA in courses taken at Murray State.

Students must maintain at least a "C" average (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) in courses used in the major and in the minor.

Students must have completed 40 semester hours at MSU.

Grade changes will not be made after conferral of a degree.

Graduating seniors have five weeks to change an "I" after the end of the graduating semester. Otherwise, graduation will be delayed until the next semester. If the course is not needed for graduation, the "I" may be changed to an "E" and the degree may be conferred.

Related Articles

Modified 2/20/2018
Article ID: 889