1. Registrar's Office
1.1. Academic Bulletin

The Academic Bulletin is a guide for Murray State students, faculty, and staff that outlines many important policies and provides information regarding degree and course requirements. Each year, Murray State publishes an Academic Bulletin. Students are assigned to the Bulletin based on the version available when they enroll at Murray State. It may be possible to change the Academic Bulletin you are assigned to; contact your academic advisor for more information. Beulletins expire after 8 years. If you are needing information from an expired Bulletin, contact the Office of the Registrar at msu.registrar@murraystate.edu.

Visit the Office of the Registrar's webpage and view links to PDF documents of all of our active catalogs.

1.2. Academic Regulations

These policies are effective as of Fall 2009 grades.

Grade Point Average
To calculate a cumulative grade point average, divide the total number of quality points earned by the total hours attempted. Transfer credit is included in the cumulative GPA. Grades of AU, CR, P, R, W or WP do not affect GPA calculations.

Dean's List Honors (Undergraduate Students Only)
Full-time (courses in which a grade of P is received will not count toward full-time status for this purpose) undergraduate students who have attained a term grade point average of 3.50 or above in either a spring or fall semester will be placed on the "Dean's List" for that semester and the Dean's List designation will appear on the student's record. This requirement must be met at the time grades are posted. Grades of I may prevent a student from being placed on the Dean's List. Dean's List information is also displayed under the Academics tab on myGate. University Communications sends all of the Dean's List information to students' local media outlets following the posting of final grades. For more information, please call 270-809-2198.

Students are expected to maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA). The conditions and actions described below pertain to students whose GPA's fall below 2.0.

Academic Warning
A student will be on academic warning when his or her cumulative GPA is less than 2.0 but is at or above the values listed below for the number of hours the student has attempted. A student on academic warning may enroll for a maximum of 16 credit hours during a fall or spring term.

Academic Probation
A student will be on academic probation when his or her cumulative GPA is less than the value listed below for the number of hours the student has attempted.

Hours Attempted   Cumulative GPA 
1-32   1.5
33-64   1.7


80 or more   2.0

An undergraduate student will be placed on academic probation at the end of the first grading period in which her/his cumulative GPA falls below the appropriate threshold listed above.  A student on probation may register for a maximum of 16 hours in a regular semester.

Removal from Probation
A student will be removed from probation after the probationary semester by reaching or exceeding the appropriate cumulative GPA threshold listed above. Failure to do so will result either in a status of "continued on probation" or "academic suspension."

Continued on Probation
A student who does not meet the cumulative GPA threshold for his/her hours attempted, but earns a term GPA of at least 2.0 for the probationary semester will remain on probation and may register for a maximum of 16 hours in a regular semester.

Academic Suspension
An undergraduate student will be suspended from the university following a probationary semester in which he or she does not meet the criteria for continued on probation or removal from probation (see above).  A student suspended for the first time may not re-enroll until one succeeding (fall or spring) term has passed.

Note: A student who feels there are extenuating circumstances may appeal for special consideration in writing to the Registrar, no later than seven days prior to the beginning of classes.

Academic Dismissal
An undergraduate student who receives a second academic suspension may not re-enroll for two calendar years. An undergraduate student who receives a third academic suspension will be indefinitely dismissed from the university.

Reinstatement after Suspension
A student suspended for 2 or more academic years must submit an application for readmission. Students who are reinstated are readmitted on probation. A student who has been suspended for a third time may not re-enroll at Murray State.

A student who has been academically suspended or dismissed may appeal in writing to the Registrar's Office for special consideration when a repeated or lengthy illness or family emergency has been the cause of excessive absences from class and when the absences have been beyond the control of the student. All appeals must be on file at least 14 days before the first day of class of the relevant term.

1.3. Academic Second Chance

Request for Undergraduate Academic Second Chance  

Academic Second Chance (ASC) is an appeal procedure for an undergraduate student to request academic forgiveness for their courses. It applies to a single semester or series of semesters (as of Fall 2014, semesters are not required to be continuous) within which a student earned grades lower than a C. If approved, those terms would be excluded when calculating the student’s grade point average. No courses taken during the semesters approved for ASC would apply toward requirements for a degree.

A student who wishes to petition for ASC must have been separated from all institutions of higher learning for a minimum of two consecutive calendar years.  If a student withdrew from a semester and the withdrawal appears on their transcript, the student is considered “enrolled” during that term.

An ASC request form may be submitted by an enrolled student after the student has reentered Murray State University and has earned a minimum of 12 new degree credit hours at Murray State University with a minimum GPA of 2.50 on all hours since re-enrolling. ASC requests are only valid for the student’s first baccalaureate degree.  The ASC request form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office, specifying the terms for which ASC is requested.

ASC courses remain a part of the transcript with a notation that academic second chance has been applied and that grades are not included in GPA calculations. If a course excluded by ASC was used as a repeat of an earlier course, the original course which had been excluded from grade point average consideration due to the repeat policy will be added back into the GPA as though it had never been repeated.

The new GPA is the official GPA of the university. Students need to be aware that some schools, agencies, academic areas, organizations, and scholarship programs may not recognize or allow ASC. ASC may be declared only once and may not be revoked.

Students may apply for academic forgiveness by printing and completing the Request for Academic Second Chance form. The form should be mailed to:

Registrar’s Office
Murray State University
113 Sparks Hall
Murray, KY 42071-3312


Request for Graduate Academic Second Chance

Graduate students may request Academic Second Chance (ASC) through their advisor by submitting the Request for Academic Second Chance Form and a justification letter that includes details about the extenuating circumstances that caused hardship during the term(s) for which ASC is requested, as well as identification of specific terms for ASC. Academic Second Chance must be approved by the program director, department chair (where applicable), collegiate graduate coordinator or academic dean, and the university graduate coordinator.

1.4. Academic Suspension Appeals Hearing

Academic Appeal Hearing form

A student who has been academically suspended or dismissed from the university and feels it was due to circumstances beyond his/her control may appeal in writing to the Registrar for special consideration. If the Registrar desires, the student’s request can be forwarded to the Academic Appeals Committee for dispensation. This committee is composed of nine members; two student members, the Retention Services Director, and one faculty member from each of the academic colleges; the School of Agriculture; and the School of Nursing and Health Professions. The committee reviews each case and makes decisions based on information provided to them by the student or other individuals. The student may be present for the hearing or may present his case in writing only. The student comes before the committee alone. Guests are not able to speak or be present.

The completed form, with attached documentation, should be returned to the Registrar’s Office. All appeal forms must be on file in the Registrar’s Office no later than seven (7) days prior to the beginning of the relevant semester. After three (3) suspensions, a student is not eligible to return to Murray State.

Completed forms should be mailed/faxed/emailed** to the following address:

Registrar’s Office
Murray State University
113 Sparks Hall
Murray, KY 42071-3312
Fax: 270-809-3777
Email: msu.registration@murraystate.edu

**Due to the time sensitive nature of these documents, the Office of the Registrar recommends fax, email, or personal delivery. 

Tentative Academic Suspension Appeal Form Submission Deadlines:

August 12, 2019 for Fall 2019 semester 

January 6, 2020 for Spring 2020 semester

May 18, 2020 for Summer 2020 semester

August 10, 2020 for Fall 2020 semester 

January 4, 2020 for Spring 2021 semester


Academic Appeal FAQ

Q. Do I have to be present?
No. You have the right to be present at the hearing, but you are not required to attend. You can submit everything you want the committee to know and they will base their decision on that information plus any additional information supplied by the Registrar’s Office.  It is to your advantage to attend the meeting so that you may provide additional information and answer any questions, if necessary.

Q. When and where are the meetings held?
. The meetings are normally held the week before the semester begins. Once a meeting has been scheduled, you will be notified of the date, time, and location.

Q. What kind of documentation do I need?
You may provide any information that you feel will be relevant to your case. For example, if your grades are low due to frequent absences, you may wish to provide additional information regarding the reason for your absences.

Q. How will I know the decision of the committee?
If you are present at the meeting, you will be told the decision then. If not, you will be notified in writing.

Q. What kinds of cases are heard by this committee?
The most common cases consist of individuals who have been dropped or suspended from the university. Grade appeals are also reviewed, but must be presented on the grade appeal form.

1.5. Accelerated Graduate Admission and Credit

Accelerated Graduate Admission and Credit

Early Master’s Admission for MSU Seniors

Seniors at Murray State University who are within nine hours of completing the baccalaureate degree, who have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0, and are meeting all undergraduate GPA requirements, may be admitted to graduate study provided they meet departmental and general admission requirements. Seniors admitted on this basis are considered graduate students, and will be charged graduate tuition for all courses scheduled. See the Course Load section for graduate students in the Registration and Academic Records chapter in this Bulletin. Note: This type of admission may cause problems with financial aid.

Students who fail to complete all undergraduate requirements during their first semester as graduate students (unless they are in an approved accelerated graduate program) will be denied graduate credit. All courses taken during that term will be permanently recorded as undergraduate level, with no refund of graduate tuition. Early admission graduate students may apply for graduate assistantships.

Seniors enrolled at institutions other than MSU who meet the requirements outlined above may petition Graduate Admissions for early admission. However, an official transcript with a bachelor’s degree posted will be required prior to registration.

Accelerated Graduate Admission

Accelerated graduate programs provide academically outstanding students the opportunity to complete both an undergraduate and graduate degree in less time and/or fewer hours than a traditional route. A Murray State University undergraduate student who needs 30 or fewer credit hours to complete all of the requirements of a baccalaureate degree and who has an overall undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.0 at the time of admission, may be considered for accelerated graduate admission as a graduate student in designated programs. See the Course Load section for graduate students in the Registration and Academic Records chapter in this Bulletin.

Students who wish to be considered for accelerated graduate admission to a graduate degree program are advised to take the GRE or another appropriate test during their junior year. Students should consult their intended graduate program for specific requirements. Application for accelerated graduate admission should be initiated by the student by completing a graduate admissions application.

See the Accelerated Program Credit section in the Registration and Academic Records chapter of this Bulletin for information on allowing some MSU graduate courses to be used for both undergraduate and graduate degrees.

NOTE: Federal regulations permit undergraduate students to receive financial assistance only for coursework required for their current degree program. Students who are enrolled in both undergraduate and graduate coursework in the same semester will receive less financial aid than if only enrolled for undergraduate coursework. Students are strongly advised to contact Murray State University’s Office of Financial Aid to find out how their financial aid amount would be adjusted.

University scholarship, tuition waivers, athletic certification, and veteran’s benefits may also be impacted. Graduate tuition will be charged for all coursework upon accelerated graduate admission.

Accelerated Program Credit

For qualified students who have been admitted to an accelerated graduate program, a maximum of 12 Murray State graduate credit hours (30 MSU graduate credit hours for the accelerated Occupational Therapy program) may be used towards satisfying their undergraduate and graduate degree requirements. Grades earned in the Accelerated Program Credit will count in both the undergraduate and graduate GPAs. Students who drop out of the accelerated graduate program will not be eligible to use the Accelerated Program Credit courses toward any graduate degree; however, the courses will continue to apply toward the undergraduate degree. Students must seek approval from their academic department and complete the Accelerated Program Credit approval form or the Accelerated Program Credit approval form – Occupational Therapy.

1.6. Access to Student Data in myGate or Banner

Faculty or Staff who need access to student-related data in Banner or myGate must complete the Request for Access to Student Data form.

You will need to complete the online FERPA Training and exam.

Once the form has been completed, please fax it to the Office of the Registrar (270-809-3777).


1.7. Advising Holds
Each semester, prior to advance scheduling, undergraduate, degree seeking students, and some specific graduate programs have an advising hold placed on their file. This hold prevents student from registering for the upcoming semester. To clear this hold, the student must see their academic advisor prior to scheduling. Once advising has taken place, the academic advisor will remove the Advising Hold through their myGate and the student can then register for the upcoming semester. 
1.8. Audit/Time Conflict/Permission Form

Audit/Time Conflict Permission Form

What is an AUDIT?
To audit means to attend and participate in class without earning a regular letter grade. Audited classes are listed on a student’s permanent record with a grade of AU and no credit hours. Instructors have the authority to fail a student from an audited course if he or she does not do the required work, and/or fails to attend the class. Attendance is required of an auditing student.

How to Audit a Class
To AUDIT a class, a student must request to audit the class from the instructor.  If the instructor approves, he/she must sign the audit permission form. This approved form must be submitted to the Registration Office, Basement, Sparks Hall, to tag the approved class for audit on the student's registration before the deadline to audit a class.  See the Calendars website for audit deadline dates.

Will an Audit Affect My Financial Aid?
Students who choose to audit a class will NOT receive credit, which may affect current and future aid eligibility.  Contact the Student Financial Aid Office, msu.sfa@murraystate.edu, 270-809-3546, for additional information. 

NOTE: Student Athletes must discuss auditing a class with Athletics before submitting an approved audit form to the Registration Office.  International students should also contact the International office prior to auditing a class. 

1.9. Calendars and Scheduling

Click here to view Murray State's academic calendar

Don't forget to add Murray State's calendar to your own personal Google calendar! 


1.10. Changing Your Address on myGate

Click here to view PDF instructions on how to change and manage your addresses through myGate.

1.11. Commencement Information


Murray State University degrees are conferred at the end of the Spring, Summer, and Fall terms. Commencement ceremonies are held twice a year; in the Spring and in the Fall.

Names of May graduates will be printed in the Spring Commencement program and names of December graduates will be printed in the Fall Commencement program. All graduates are encouraged to attend the exercises. August graduates are listed in both the Spring and Fall Commencement programs of the same year. August graduates are encouraged to participate in the December graduation ceremony of the same year.

A meeting of all degree candidates is held at 12:30 p.m. in the CFSB Center the Wednesday immediately preceding the ceremony. Instructions are provided at that time. Caps, gowns, hoods, stoles, and honor cords are available for purchase at the University Store. Invitations may also be ordered. For additional information regarding prices, availability dates, etc., contact the University Store.

For additional commencement information, contact Mary Ann Gardner in the Office of Academic Affairs or the Graduation Office.

1.12. Consent to Release Student Information

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. Directory information may be released without the student’s written consent unless a “Non-Disclosure of Directory Information” form is on file in the Registrar’s Office. Students wishing to release confidential information to others or to communicate with MSU faculty or staff via the phone or email may give their authorization online in myGate.  

Here's how:

1.  Log into myGate
2.  Go to the Academics tab
3.  Click on the "Consent to release student information" link in the Student Links channel
4.  Complete the online form and click Update Consent

Consent details can be viewed or revoked at any time from the "Consent to release student information" link.

See the Consent to Release - More Details PDF for more detailed explanations.

If you need assistance, please contact the Office of the Registrar at (270) 809-5630 or the Service Desk at (270) 809-2346
1.13. Departmental Challenge Examination

Procedure for Departmental Challenge Request:

  1. The student must contact the appropriate department for the exam they are requesting before registering and paying for the exam.  The department will make sure the exam is available and that the student is qualified to take the exam.
  2. By clicking on the Departmental Challenge link on the Academics tab or accessing the Departmental Challenge page directly, the student selects the link (below) with the exam(s) they wish to register for and pays for the exam(s) with a debit or credit card through the Marketplace Store.
  3. An email request is sent to the department.  
  4. The department contacts the student to schedule the exam(s).
  5. If the student successfully passes the challenge exam(s), the department chair/representative will send notification to the Office of the Registrar.
  6. Credit will be posted to the student's academic record if the student is currently enrolled.

Register & Pay for Departmental Challenge Exams



Q. Does the person who wishes to take a challenge exam have to be a student at Murray State?

A. No. They could be planning to enroll at Murray State and already working with the department to receive challenge credit. If they do not have a myGate account, there will be a link on the Office of the Registrar website where they can access the Marketplace store site. However, departmental challenge credit will not be posted to a student's transcript until they are enrolled at MSU.

Q. Does the person have to pay for the challenge exam?

A. Yes, payment is required at the time of request. The email request will not be sent to the department until payment is completed.

Q. Does the person have to register for the exam before they take it?

A. Yes, page 41 of the 2013-14 Bulletin states "All costs connected with a particular examination must be met by the student prior to the testing date." The same is true when a person registers for the AP or CLEP exams. They must register and pay for before taking the exam. Taking the exam does not guarantee the student will receive credit.

Q. Can students challenge a graduate-level course?

A. No, page 40 of the 2016-17 Bulletin states "Graduate students may not obtain graduate credit through testing" and "Graduate Students - Murray State University does not grant credit for correspondence courses, portfolio-based experiential learning, or for the completion of a challenge examination or any national testing-for-credit in any courses."

Q. Can the exam be taken more than once?

A. No, page 40 of the 2016-17 Bulletin states "A departmental challenge examination may only be taken once."

Q. Can the exam credit mark off a previous passing or failing grade earned for the same course?

A. No, page 40 of the 2016-17 Bulletin states "Departmental challenge credit may not be used as a repeat of a course taken earlier. A grade received in a regular course may not be changed by departmental challenge examination."

Q. What if a student wants to challenge a course but it is not listed on Marketplace?

A. The student should contact the department to see if a challenge exam is offered for that course. If so, the department representative should contact the Office of the Registrar to get it added to the Marketplace store.
1.14. Dropping/Adding a Class

All registration and drop/add processing must be done through myGate.

Students choose their classes from the Look Up Classes link on their Academics tab in myGate.

For information on specific deadline dates for drop/add/audit refer to the Calendars webpage or myGate Academics tab, Deadlines Channel.

For information concerning auditing, please see Audit/Time Conflict Permission article. 

To ADD a closed class, a student must contact the instructor of the class. If approved, the instructor will give the "Closed Course" override through their myGate. After the closed course override is given, the student MUST add the class by entering the CRN through their Academics tab by the published add deadline.  For semester deadlines, please check the Calendars webpage.


Drop/Add Frequently Asked Questions

How do I add classes?
Students add/register for classes on their myGate Academics tab.

How do I drop one or more of my classes?
Students must drop classes through their Academics tab on myGate.  Choose Add or Drop Individual Classes link under Registration Tools. For drop deadlines, see the Calendars webpage.

NOTE: Student athletes and international students must contact their athletic advisor and/or international advisor, respectively, prior to making any changes to their schedules.

How do I drop ALL my classes for the current semester?
Students dropping all classes may do so by accessing the "Withdraw From All Courses" link under the Student Links channel on their Academics tab on myGate.  Date restrictions apply for dropping and withdrawing from the semester.  See Calendars for drop/withdrawal deadlines.
You will not be withdrawn from the semester until you complete this electronic process.  All library books must be returned before a withdrawal form can be processed. Email confirmation to your MSU email address will be sent when you have submitted your withdrawal request and again after your request has been processed. Any further questions, contact the Registration Office, 270-809-2394 or msu.registration@murraystate.edu.

How do I take an overload of classes?
A minimum of sophomore standing is required in addition to a minimum of a 3.0 GPA for undergraduate students.  Graduate students require a minimum of a 3.0 GPA.  For the full policy refer to the Undergraduate Bulletin or Graduate Bulletin for overload requirements.  If requirements are met, submit an approved overload form to the Registration Office, basement of Sparks Hall, for processing.  For further questions, contact the Registration Office, 270-809-2934 or msu.registration@murraystate.edu

How do I add an upper level course if I am classified as a freshman or sophomore?
Contact the Registration Office, 270-809-2394 or msu.registration@murraystate.edu for assistance.  Refer to the Undergraduate Bulletin.

What does it mean to "audit" a course?
To audit means to attend and participate in class without earning a regular letter grade. Audited classes are listed on a student’s permanent record with a grade of AU and no credit hours. Instructors have the authority to fail a student from an audited course if he or she does not do the required work, or fails to attend the class. Class attendance is required.

How do I audit a course?
To AUDIT, a student must have a permission form approved with full signatures of the instructor of the course. This form must be submitted to the Registration Office, basement, Sparks Hall, for processing before the deadline to audit. Instructors have the authority to fail a student from an audited course if he or she does not do the required work, or fails to attend the class.
NOTE: Student athletes must discuss auditing a class prior to submitting an approved audit form to the Registration Office.  Date restrictions apply for dropping and withdrawing from the semester.  See Calendars for audit deadlines.

How do I repeat a course? What effect does a repeat have on my permanent record?

The student registers for the class to be repeated through their myGate Academics tab. The myGate system automatically recognizes the class as a repeated class. The last attempt is calculated into the G.P.A. All other attempts remain on the transcript as part of your academic history, but are not calculated into the GPA.

How do I view and print a copy of my schedule?
Students can view and print their class schedule through their Student Links channel on their myGate Academics tab.

Will I receive a refund?
A student who completes a schedule change may receive a reduction in charges for tuition and/or course fee(s) if the student (1) drops below full-time, (2) is part-time and drops a class, or (3) is full-time and drops a class with a refundable course fee.  All types of refunds, if applicable, will be in accordance with the refund table listed in the current Schedule of Fees.
Students who wish to appeal their tuition refund amount must do so in writing to the Withdrawal Appeals Committee, Bursar's Office, Murray State University, 200 Sparks Hall, Murray, KY 42071-3312.  For a link to the appeal form, click here.




1.15. Duplicate Diploma Request

You can now order duplicate diplomas online to be mailed to you. 

Complete the duplicate diploma request form and use a debit/credit card for payment. Cost of duplicate diplomas are $15 ea.

Note: All degrees will be verified for accuracy. Please do not request that your duplicate diploma contain a "nickname". Those requests cannot be honored - only official names will be printed. 
1.16. Enrollment Verification
Murray State University processes many enrollment verifications for loans through the National Student Loan Clearinghouse. Student enrollment data is reported to the clearinghouse three times during the semester; after the last day to enroll, mid-semester, and at the end of the semester.

Students may need verification of their enrollment status for other purposes such as eligibility for insurance coverage, etc.. Enrollment will be verified for the official dates of each semester once a student has completed the registration process. 

Undergraduate students will be certified as full-time if they are registered for 12 or more credit hours each semester. Those with fewer than 12 credit hours will be certified as part-time. Graduate students will be certified as full-time if they are registered for 9 or more credit hours each semester. Those with fewer than 9 credit hours will be certified as part-time.

Enrollment Verifications may be requested through myGate on the Academics tab. Once a verification has been submitted, it will be processed through the Office of the Registrar on the next business day.
1.17. Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Institutional Policy

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records, including:



1.   The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed. A parent of a dependent student as defined in section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code may request permission to view a student’s educational records upon showing proof of dependency. Release of such information is at the discretion of the Registrar.


2.  The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that are believed to be inaccurate or misleading.  The student should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for an amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.


3.   The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent, as follows: 


a) Disclosure without the student's consent is permissible to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); the University attorney; appropriate community safety and emergency personnel to whom information regarding students is to be provided pursuant to KRS 164.9495; a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a contractor, consultant, volunteer, or other person or entity to which the University has outsourced institutional services or functions, and who is limited as to use, maintenance, and re-disclosure of information; a person serving on the Board of Regents; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.  In addition, the following groups are specifically recognized as “school officials” within the definition of FERPA for the limited purpose of receiving at any time listings of names and addresses of students, including in-coming students, and/or student directory information:  MSU Alumni Association; Murray State University Foundation, Inc; a person or company who performs a service for MSU that serves a legitimate educational interest; authorized representatives of federal or State supported education programs if disclosure is in connection with an audit or evaluation of supported programs or for the enforcement of or compliance with legal requirements that relate to those programs.


A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review or receive any education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility or if the service to or for MSU is of a type that MSU would normally perform itself including one which MSU has outsourced.

As of January 3, 2012, the U.S. Department of Education's FERPA regulations expand the circumstances under which your education records and personally identifiable information (PII) contained in such records - including your Social Security Number, grades, or other private information - may be accessed without your consent. First, the U.S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or state and local education authorities ("Federal and State Authorities") may allow access to your records and PII without your consent to any third party designated by a Federal or State Authority to evaluate a federal- or state-supported education program. The evaluation may relate to any program that is "principally engaged in the provision of education," such as early childhood education and job training, as well as any program that is administered by an education agency or institution. Second, Federal and State Authorities may allow access to your education records and PII without your consent to researchers performing certain types of studies, in certain cases even when we object to or do not request such research. Federal and State Authorities must obtain certain use-restriction and data security promises from the entities that they authorize to receive your PII, but the Authorities need not maintain direct control over such entities. In addition, in connection with Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems, State Authorities may collect, compile, permanently retain, and share without your consent PII from your education records, and they may track your participation in education and other programs by linking such PII to other personal information about you that they obtain from other Federal or State data sources, including workforce development, unemployment insurance, child welfare, juvenile justice, military service, and migrant student records systems.


b) FERPA allows the institution to routinely release information defined as "directory information." 

The following student information is included in the definition: 

  • the student's name
  • addresses
  • telephone listings
  • campus e-mail address
  • date and place of birth
  • fields of study
  • photograph
  • participation in officially recognized activities and sports 
  • weight and height of members of athletic teams
  • dates of attendance
  • enrollment status (including full-time, part-time, not enrolled)
  • degrees (pending and received)
  • awards or honors received and the most recent previous educational institution attended


When a student wants the directory information to remain confidential, an official request form must be completed in the Registrar’s Office within the first five days of class of the school term.  If a student requests directory information withheld during a term and does not return to Murray state after that term, that request remains in force until such a time as a formal written statement removing that hold is received from the student rescinding that request. Murray State will release directory information to school officials or others with a legitimate educational interest.



4.   The right to file a written complaint with the Family Compliance Office of the United States Department of Education concerning an alleged failure by MSU to comply with the provisions of FERPA.


a) The complaint must contain specific allegations of fact giving reasonable cause to believe that a FERPA violation has occurred. A complaint does not have to allege that a violation is based on a policy or practice at MSU. 


b) To be timely, a complaint should be submitted to the Family Compliance Office within 180 days of the date of an alleged violation. The Family Compliance Office may extend the time limit for good cause shown. 


c) The complaint may be filed at: Family Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Ave, S.W., Washington D.C., 20202. 

1.18. Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) for Faculty, Staff, and Student Employees

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records.  This includes but is not limited to Social Security numbers, class rolls, advising files, tests, degree audits, and a student’s class schedule.  These rights are listed below.  As an employee of Murray State University you are expected to comply with this federal law.  The Registrar’s Office is the official source for all student data, and the Registrar is the authorized party to determine right of access to student data.  Murray State identifies faculty members as school officials with a right to access certain specified student records based on an appropriate “need to know.” 

Before an employee can gain on-line access to data he/she must participate in FERPA training provided online by the Registrar’s Office.  
Key points to keep in mind when working with students or student records are:  
  • do not post grades;
  • do not post or share your password with anyone;
  • unless you are positive of a student’s identification, ask for an ID with photo before discussing or releasing any information about that student to that student;
  • keep all confidential documents in a secure location;
  • refrain from discussing confidential information in public places such as hallways, restaurants, classrooms, common areas and office spaces that are not secure;
  • do not let other students or employees see information for which they have not been authorized;
  • do not allow students to look through a stack of tests or degree audits for their specific documents;
  • get signed permission forms before preparing letters of recommendation, and keep those forms for at least one year after the student has left the University or one year after the letter was written, whichever is later;
  • include confidentiality/FERPA issues in the training or performance evaluations for any student workers or employees that you supervise;
  • since you are given access to student data only for your professional needs, refer third-party requests for student data  to the Registrar; and
  • when in doubt contact the Registrar for guidance on issues that relate to confidentiality of student records. 
1.19. Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Training (Online)

This tutorial is a learning tool designed to equip faculty, staff and students with a better understanding of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974.

The tutorial is not an exhaustive study of the topic of FERPA, but it does address the essential elements of the law.  It is not intended to be a substitute for legal advice.  Specific questions regarding FERPA should be answered by the Registrar's Office.

Once you have finished the tutorial,  you will be prompted to complete a quiz over the tutorial material.  Completion of this quiz with a score of 100% will create a record that you have successfully completed FERPA training.

Questions regarding the interpretation and implementation of FERPA may be directed to:

University Registrar
1.20. Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Request for Non-Disclosure

The following items are considered to be directory information and, by law, can be released to anyone:
  • Name
  • Local and Permanent Addresses
  • E-Mail Address
  • Telephone Numbers
  • Areas/Majors/Minors
  • Photograph
  • Participation in Officially Recognized Activities and Sports
  • Weights and Heights of Athletes
  • Dates of Attendance
  • Degrees and Awards
  • Most Recent Previously Attended Institution
  • Classification
Any student who objects to the release of his/her directory information on file may request non-release of this information by submitting the request for non-release of directory information in person to the Registrar's Office. An ID with photograph is required.

This request will be honored and all of the information which the student requests to be withheld will be held confidential by the Registrar’s Office from the date the request is received, until the student requests in writing for the non-disclosure request to be removed. The right to opt out of directory information disclosures may not be used to allow a student to remain anonymous in class.

All questions regarding non-release of directory information should be sent to the Registrar's Office.
1.21. Grades

Grade Posting 
Midterm grades are available for viewing as soon as the instructor submits their grades on myGate.  Final grades are available on myGate the day after grades are due.

Financial Holds
Final grades will not be available for any student who has unpaid charges or library fines. Direct questions about financial holds to msu.bursar@murraystate.edu or (270) 809-4227.

Grading Scale
The following system of grades is used for the evaluation of course work, with a 4.0 grading scale used to determine grade point average:

A ....... Exceptionally high quality; valued at four points for each credit.

B ....... Good; valued at three points for each credit.

C ....... Satisfactory; valued at two points for each credit.

D ....... Poor; valued at one point for each credit.

E ....... Failure, no credit; valued at no points and no hours earned. This grade affects the gpa negatively.

P ....... Pass; credit valued at no points and no hours attempted. (Used only for departmental challenge and officially approved pass/fail courses as stipulated in the course description section of the University Bulletin)

AU .... Audit; no credit. (Requires instructor's approval)

I ......... Incomplete; Non-punitive until the deadline for each semester.  This grade is assigned when, for reasons beyond a student's control, students engaged in passing work are unable to complete all class assignments. If work is not completed the I grade will convert to an E grade.  GPAs will then be recalculated.  

R ........ A grade to be used in restricted instances for specific approved courses to denote either that credit is deferred until additional course work is completed, or that the course must be repeated.

W ....... Withdrawn; no hours and no quality points. (Only may be assigned to eligible students who have officially dropped courses or withdrawn from MSU by published deadlines)

NR ...... Not reported; grade used when the instructor has not submitted final grades by the deadline. No credit is given and is not computed as hours attempted.

IP ....... In progress; grade used in restricted approved instances. Computed as non-punitive.

Students  may  not submit missed work, make changes to already submitted work, nor complete additional assignments in order to change a grade of  A, B, C, D, or E once the grade has been recorded.

Beginning Fall 2011, a student who receives an I grade must complete the work and the instructor must submit the grade by mid-term of the fall or spring term immediately following the term in which the I was received.  I grades received in the fall must be rectified and grades submitted to the Registrar's Office by March 15th of the following spring term; spring and summer I grades, by October 15th of the following fall term.

(Degree pending students should see the note below.)  Students completing class assignments with the intent to change the I to a passing grade should not re-register for the course.  Should the student fail to complete the course within the designated time period, the I will be converted to a grade of E and the GPA will be recalculated.  This may change the academic standing, including dean's list honors.

Once a grade of I has been converted to an E, the grade will not be changed to a passing grade.  After the grade of E has been assigned, the student must register and pay for the course in a future semester in order to receive the credit.  Re-registering for the course will not prevent the original I grade from being changed to an E after the deadline has passed.

NOTE: If a student is pending a degree, incomplete grades must be changed within five (5) weeks after the semester ends; otherwise the I will be converted to an E and the GPA will be recalculated.  (See the Graduation Requirements section in Chapter 5 for additional information). 

Calculating your GPA
For all courses where grades were received (except "AU", "P", "R", "W", "NR", and "IP"), you multiply the credit hours for each course by the number of points appropriate for the grade you received in that course. For Example:           

Grade  Quality Point Average Course Credit Hours Quality Points
 A  4  3  12
 B   3  3  9
C  2  3  8
 D  1  3  3
 E, WE, I, X  0  3  0
 AU, P, R, W, WP, NR, IP  0  0 No effect
Divide "Points" by "Hours Attempted": 32/16 = 2.00 GPA (a minimum of a 2.00 GPA is required for graduation).

Truncate (do not round) the GPA: a 2.9999 GPA is still a 2.99 GPA not a 3.00

A grade of "P" has no GPA effect, so course hours are not included in attempted hours. This is why it’s possible to have more earned hours than you have attempted hours on your transcript.

A grade of "AU" also has no GPA effect. An auditor is one who enrolls and participates in a course without expecting to receive academic credit. An audited course is not applicable to any degree or certificate program. A student who arranges to audit a class must have written permission from the instructor before they can enroll and must complete all requirements and tests specified by the course instructor. The signed permission must be submitted to the Registration Office for processing, Basement, Sparks Hall. Audit courses are considered load credit so students need to know that failing grades can be given to students who do not complete the course requirements. A student may take a class for credit after having audited it or may audit a class after having received credit but an "AU" grade will not replace any earlier grade.

Repeating Courses
An undergraduate student may, for the purpose of raising a grade, repeat a course for credit no more than three times, unless otherwise noted in the course description. Only the last attempt will be calculated in the cumulative GPA and count toward hours earned. Grades of "AU", "R", or "W" do not count towards repeat attempts. Transfer credit will be subject to the same policy as Murray State work. Therefore, an equivalent transfer course could mark off an MSU course. Note: We do NOT keep the BESTgrade--we keep the second grade. It is possible that you could replace a passing grade with a failing grade—this means you would have to take the course again to receive credit.

To see how a repeat changes your GPA, you delete any points and hours from the first time you took the course and add in the new hours and points. If a course with a "D" on page 1 is repeated and an "A" is earned, then the hours would be unchanged and only the equivalent points would change. You can determine your new GPA by using the "calculating your GPA" above.

Graduate Credit
Graduate course repeats will not remove prior attempts. All graduate credit remains on the transcript.

Dropping Classes
You may want to consider dropping a class if you are not going to receive a passing grade. Be absolutely certain to check the drop deadlines and to discuss any possible repercussions with your advisor, the student financial aid office, and your insurance company if dropping a course will put you below 12 hours.  

Once you Graduate
No courses taken before a baccalaureate degree is completed will be marked off after graduation and no grades are changed once the degree is conferred. The grade point average at graduation is frozen and will not be changed when additional courses are added to the transcript.

Official University Policies
Complete university policy information can be found in the Undergraduate and Graduate Bulletins. Be sure to consult the bulletins for more information. Lack of knowledge about university policies is not an acceptable basis for appeal. The bulletins can be found on-line at the Registrar's Website.


Grade Information for Faculty
Midterm and final grades are submitted through the instructor's myGate, Teaching/Advising tab, beginning one week prior to the final due date.

Final grades must be submitted by each individual faculty person 48 hours after each exam, through the instructor's myGateTeaching/Advising tab. Contact the Registration Office for assistance, (270) 809-2394.

If you have any questions, contact Registration.

1.22. Grade Appeal

Grade Appeal Form

Murray State University recognizes that differences of opinion or interpretation may arise between students and faculty members regarding the assignment of course grades. The university urges the student to first seek resolution through informal discussion with the appropriate faculty member.

It should be noted that situations involving academic misconduct should be directed to the University Judicial Board.

The student initiates a meeting with the instructor of the class. The meeting must take place within the first twenty (20) days of the semester immediately following the term during which the incident of grievance is alleged to have occurred, exclusive of summer session.

If the matter is not resolved satisfactorily at the instructor level, meetings with the chair and dean must follow within ten (10) days of the initial discussion with the instructor. At the time of each meeting, the instructor, chair and dean must sign and date the grade appeal form.

Once all means of informal resolution on the collegiate level have been exhausted the student must submit a completed grade appeal form with supporting documentation to the Office of the Registrar within fifteen (15) days of the initial discussion with the instructor if the matter is not resolved satisfactorily.

The chair of the Academic Appeals Board shall convene that committee within twenty (20) days of the receipt of the grade ap­peal form and supporting documentation.

Copies of the recommendation and final decision by the provost shall be sent to the appropriate academic dean, the student, and the instructor, within ten (10) days of the completion of the hearing, unless notified otherwise. The text of the recommendation and all pertinent testimony and gathered data shall be kept in confidence.

NOTE: If at any point in this process, the student alleges that actions have taken place that may be in violation of the Murray State Univer­sity Non-Discrimination policy this process must be suspended and the matter directed to the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity and Access.

Under no circumstances will an appeal of a grade be accepted after one year from the end of the semester in which the grade was received.

For the full policy, go to the current University Bulletin: http://www.murraystate.edu/academics/RegistrarsOffice/index.aspx

1.23. Graduation Information Change

Students wishing to change their graduation date should complete the graduation information change form. Upon receipt of this form, the Registrar’s Office will make the requested changes to the student’s graduation file.

Students wishing to make changes to commencement information should complete the bottom portion of the above form. If this form is not completed, the student’s name will be placed in the commencement program according to information on file in the graduation folder.

The form may be mailed or faxed to the following address:

Registrar’s Office
Murray State University
113 Sparks Hall
Murray, KY  42071-3312
Fax: 270/809-3050
Attn: Graduation
1.24. Military Activation Withdrawals
Students need to provide the Office of the Registrar with a signed statement requesting to be withdrawn. Students must also provide the Office of the Registrar with a copy of their orders or an official letter from the 1st Sergeant/Unit Commander on unit letterhead in order to receive 100% refund. If in person, complete top portion of withdrawal form.
If not available, fax or mail letter. If the student cannot send a letter him/herself, MSU will accept an official statement from the Unit, which must include the student’s name, social security number and date of activation. (The Registrar must approve any questionable documentation before processing of withdrawal begins.)

Official withdrawal will be as of the date orders/letters are received. If orders are received after the date for students to drop a class with a grade of "W", the withdrawals will be back-dated to that date in order for the students to receive grades of ‘W’. For courses that are largely complete or that can be completed from a distance (directed studies, etc.), students may choose to work with faculty to take grades of "I" to give more time to complete the course. Students need to know that these grades do calculate into the gpa as failing grades until they are completed. If circumstances don't permit the student to complete the incomplete grades, the student and faculty member can work with the Registrar to process a later withdrawal.

The Office of the Registrar will forward a copy of the orders/letters to Financial Aid Office. The Office of the Registrar will also forward a copy of the orders/letters to Student Loans in the Bursar's Office to process paperwork for students to receive a 100% refund. (Any necessary return of Title IV Funds must be calculated and if this calculation results in the school being required to return funds to a Title IV program, then the student will be charged for what has to be returned.)

If the student lives in University Housing, the Office of the Registrar will forward a copy of his/her orders to the Housing Office unless the student is able to take care of checking out of the residence halls him/herself.

If the student has any library books checked out, they must return them to the library in order to avoid any charges. The Office of the Registrar will work with students who are unable to return their books immediately.

People To Contact:

Office of the Registrar – (270) 809-5630

Office of the Registrar – FAX – (270) 809-3777

Bursar’s Office –  (270) 809-2318

Financial Aid –  (270) 809-2546/2547

Student Loans – (270) 809-2690

Toll Free – 1-800-272-4678

Military Activation Withdrawals FAQ
Q. How do I withdraw from my classes?
A. Students wanting to withdraw from all of their classes need to come to the Office of the Registrar in Sparks Hall to complete a withdrawal form. Those who are unable to visit the Office of the Registrar should fax to (270) 809-3777 a signed letter stating his/her intent to withdraw. Students must also provide the Office of the Registrar with a copy of their orders or an official letter from the 1st Sergeant/Unit Commander on unit letterhead containing the student’s name, social security number and activation date. Also, anyone with a power of attorney that allows him/her to transact all business can initiate a withdrawal for a student.

Q. How will withdrawing affect my grades?
A. All students withdrawing from the University due to military activation will receive grades of ‘W’ on their transcripts. This will not affect the grade point average in any way.

Q. Is withdrawing from classes the only option I have?
A. Not all students affected may decide to withdraw from their classes. Depending on the time of withdrawal, some students may want to work out a way to finish their courses with a grade. Others may want to receive an ‘I’ for the semester. Students will need to coordinate with their professors on an individual basis as each situation and course will differ. Some of those taking an "I" due to military activation may wish to change the grade to "W" due to the circumstances they encounter when activated. In the event that this is desired or that an extension is needed by these students on the time required to complete an incomplete grade, the faculty member should work with the student and the Registrar to facilitate the grade changes on an as-needed basis.

Q. What if I want to register for classes in the next semester?
A. If students are planning to attend the next semester, they can register as if they were still attending. Those out of school for two or more semesters should contact Admissions Services.

Q. Will I receive a refund for the semester?
A. All students withdrawing from the University due to military activation will receive a 100% tuition refund of personal payments with approved documentation. (Any necessary return of Title IV Funds must be calculated and if this calculation results in the school being required to return funds to a Title IV program, then the student will be charged for what has to be returned.)

Q. Will withdrawing affect my financial aid?
A. If students decide to return for future semesters, they need to contact the Student Financial Aid Office to verify their current and future eligibility.

1.25. Pre-Registration Verification

Students are required to update and complete pre-registration verification prior to each advance scheduling period.


1.26. RACR (Degree Audit)
Undergraduate, first time degree-seeking students are able to view their RACR (Racer Academic Completion Report) through their student myGate account.  This report will assist students in selecting their class schedule and measuring their progress toward degree completion. 

Click here to view the RACR Advisor User Guide.

Click here to view the RACR Student User Guide.

Click here for the Student Guide to Understanding RACR Training video.

Click here for the Understanding Degree Works (RACR) Training video.

1.27. Registration Agreement (effective 4/2/2014)
Effective April 2, 2014-

By registering for classes for this semester, I acknowledge that I am entering into a legally binding educational contract with MSU to pay all tuition, room, board, parking citations, library fines, Bookstore charges, class fees and other charges assessed by MSU (“Balance Owed”) by the semester due date.  See Schedule of Fees for full listing of fees.

 In the event that I do not pay the entire account balance in full by the semester due date, I understand and agree that I will not be able to schedule for future semester or receive transcripts until my debt is paid in full. 

I am responsible for fees associated with class drop/add if I fall below full-time status or completely withdraw from the University.  In addition, if MSU is required to return Federal Title IV funds (“Federal Aid”) or federal Veteran benefits as a result of my dropping of classes or withdrawal (official or unofficial), I acknowledge and agree that I am responsible for the repayment of the Federal Aid to the University. 

If I leave the university with an outstanding debt, I understand and agree that my account may be assigned to MSU Internal Collections due to non-payment and that in such event that I shall be responsible for and agree to pay, in addition to any Balance Owed, MSU’s Internal Collection Fee which amounts to 15% of the Balance Owed.  Further, I agree to pay and/or reimburse MSU any external collection fees of any collection agency and/or the Kentucky Department of Revenue, (“External Collection Fee”) which may be based on a percentage at a maximum of 33.3% of the combined total of the Balance Owed plus the Internal Collection Fee and further agree to pay all other  costs of collection, fees,  and expenses, including but not limited to reasonable attorney’s fees and court costs, incurred by MSU in any collection efforts along with interest as may be allowed by law.

I further acknowledge and agree that:

Any monies owed to MSU under a payment plan constitute an educational loan that cannot be discharged in bankruptcy under 11 U.S.C. 523(a)(8).

I have reviewed and understand the refund deadlines found at Refund Policies and Procedures prior to dropping a class.

If I am unable to attend MSU for any reason, I must officially withdraw online through the Registrar’s Office.

Registration Agreement effective for Summer 2014
1.28. Registering for Classes
All students on and off campus, must schedule through myGate. Before scheduling you must consult with your academic advisor about your class selections. Students choose their classes from the Schedule of Classes viewed through myGate.  It is your responsibility to be aware of and comply with all university, college, department and program requirements and regulations. Those participating in athletics and/or the honors program, also must have the approval of the advisors for those programs.

All financial obligations to the university must be cleared before a student will be permitted to schedule. Students may make payment via their myGate account or by mailing a check to Murray State University, 200 Sparks Hall, Murray KY 42071-3312. In addition there is a payment drop box on the east side of Sparks Hall. Please allow 24 hours for processing time for payments placed in the drop box.

Any questions concerning payments should be directed to msu.bursar@murraystate.edu or to the Office of the Bursar at (270) 809-4227.  

Advance Scheduling
Advance scheduling will take place through myGate only. Priority for advance scheduling is based on a Timetable for Advanced Scheduling (found on the University's Academic Calendar page).

Late Registration
All late scheduling will be done through myGate. For further information contact the Registration Office, call 270-809-2394, or email msu.registration@murraystate.edu. When late registration begins for the spring, summer or fall term, a late registration fee will be assessed for everyone scheduling for the first time or rescheduling after their original schedules have been removed from the system. See the University Calendar for late registration dates.

Registration FAQ
Q. How many hours do I need to become a sophomore, junior, or senior?

30 earned hours = Sophomore
60 earned hours = Junior
90 earned hours = Senior

Q. I tried to register and was not able to due to a hold. What do I do?
A. Go to your myGate Academics tab.
Click "holds" in your Student Links channel.
You then will need to contact the appropriate department that the hold is with. Ex:
  • Bursar’s: 4227
  • Collections (ECSI): 3473 or 2669
  • Incoming freshman admission: 3741
  • Incoming transfer admission: 3350
  • New student advisor: see advisor (viewable on myGate and RACR audit)
  • Other academic holds (Registrar’s): 2394
Q. If I make changes to my schedule, how do I get a revised copy?
Go to your Academics tab Student Links box
Click on “view/print my schedule”

Q. How do I drop my only class or all my classes? 
A. You cannot drop your only class or all of your classes on myGate. Withdrawals are done through myGate.
Go to Registration Tools channel and click on "withdraw from all courses" and follow the prompts.  This will submit your request to withdraw from all classes for a semester electronically.

Any further questions contact Registration, 270-809-2394 or msu.registration@murraystate.edu.

Q. myGate won’t let me schedule for a class that I have permission to take. What do I do?
A. First, verify that the instructor has given the appropriate override by going to your academics tab on your myGate account. Click on Registration status.
If the override has been given you will be able to view the override here.
Verify the override the instructor gave matches the error message you are getting when registering for the class.  
Instructor overrides must coordinate with the registration error message. For example: Closed override for a closed class.
NOTE: If a closed override has been given, you must register for the class by typing in the 5 digit CRN through the Add/Drop Class link in your Academics tab.

Q. What do I do if I have permission from an instructor to take a class as an audit or a class has a time conflict with another class?
A. You will need to get a permission form from the Registration Office or online (here) in order to audit a class or have a time conflict.
The time conflict can be no more than 15 minutes.
The form must be signed by the instructor and submitted to the Registration Office in the basement of Sparks Hall by the posted deadlines per the university calendar for processing.
1.29. Registration Holds

These holds can be placed on the student's account because of a balance due with the university, missing admission forms, an unmet academic requirement (for example: failure to complete required training via Canvas), etc.

Students can determine if they have an active hold on their account by:
1. logging into their myGate and clicking on the Academics tab.
2. In the box labeled Registration Tools click the link, Registration Status.
3. Following this link, students may click on the appropriate term they will be registering for from the drop down menu. If the term selected is open for registration (please note that if a term is selected before it is open for registration a message will be shown that explains that the term is unavailable for registration) a page will pull up that will show any hold that is present on the student account.
4. Scroll to the bottom of this page and click view holds for detailed information regarding current holds. If a message appears that a financial hold has been placed on the account (even if the amount reflects $0.00) - you may wish to access the student billing website.  Other holds may have information related to them such as phone numbers or office names.  If you have questions about the hold, please use that information to contact the appropriate office to inquire about removing the hold.

Financial holds can be cleared by submitting payment to the University.  This can be done by
1. returning to the myGate home page,
2. selecting the MONEY tab, and
3. following the link that says My Account/View E-Bill viewing any current charges that have been added.

When students acquire charges throughout the semester (items such as books charged at the book store, course fees or parking tickets) they can cause a financial hold to be placed on the account if these items are unpaid. The Bursar's Office always encourages students to check their current account status before the registration period begins in order to make any correction or clear any outstanding balance to the student account. Contact the Bursar's Office with questions concerning Bursar holds.



1.30. Residency for Tuition Purposes
The initial determination of residency status is made by the institution during the admission process, and is based on information available in the admission records. A review of the initial determination of residency status may be requested by the student, the institution, or the Council on Postsecondary Education.

In making decisions, a determination is made as to whether a person is financially dependent on, or independent of, his or her parent(s). If a student is determined to be dependent, the student takes the residency status of the parent(s). If the student is determined to be independent, the student is responsible for establishing residency in his or her own right, pursuant to the residency regulation, 13 KAR 2:045.

Normally, admissions information is limited to academic credentials and may not include complete evidence of residency and domicile.

The tuition differential for residents and nonresidents is significant and can impact a student’s financial resources.

University officials wish to properly classify students for admission and tuition purposes, and procedures are in place to do this when sufficient information and documentation are available. If you feel your residency classification is in error, or your status has changed, and you meet the qualifications for residency pursuant to 13 KAR 2:045, you may appeal your current residency determination by completing the residency affidavit.

Students are responsible for providing clear and convincing evidence of residence and domicile.

Every relevant factor is considered in determining a residency status.

All facts of residency and domicile must be documented and verifiable.

1. The only form that needs to be printed is the Residency affidavit; all other forms can be viewed online or printed for personal use.

2. Review the state policy on residency classification. 

3. Review Murray State’s policy on residency classification. 

4. Review Frequently Asked Questions about residency classification (related article). 

5. Read all the instructions carefully.

6. Make sure you know what documentation is needed for your specific situation. The list of supporting documentation can be found at the end of the Residency Affidavit in step 1.

7. Make copies of all the supporting documentation.

8. Fill out the residency affidavit and attach all the supporting documentation to it.

9. Make sure you have your affidavit notarized (The Office of the Registrar has a notary on-site).

10. Turn the affidavit and documentation in to the Office of the Registrar before the given deadline. See the university calendar for appropriate deadlines. 

Before you apply
  • Know the tuition deadline. Filing a residency appeal does not count as payment.                 
  • Please allow two (2) weeks between filing and the tuition deadline, if the outcome of your appeal makes a difference in your enrollment. If you apply for residency within ten (10) business days of the tuition deadline, you need to be aware that your appeal may not be reviewed prior to tuition being due and you are responsible for your full balance.                 
  • If you choose to stay in courses past the 100% refund deadline and your appeal is denied, this is not a reason for a 100% refund from your courses.
After you apply
  • Pay your tuition by the tuition deadline.
  • If additional information is needed, the Residency Officer will contact you via your MSU email. Please respond to any inquiries about your residency appeal within five (5) business days. If the Residency Officer does not hear from you, this may be reason for automatic denial.
  • You will be notified of the official decision by mail.
  • Every student has the right of appeal through the Residency Review Committee. This is a formal hearing process that is outlined to you, if denied.


Applications for review of residency must be filed in a timely manner. Applications will not be treated retroactively. Applications must be filed no later than thirty (30) calendar days from the first day of the semester for which the application is being filed. The University has four academic semesters – spring, summer, fall, and winter; residency will not be reviewed during the winter term. Deadlines are published on the university calendars. Although the summer semester has many individual parts of terms, the deadline applies to the first day of class for the summer semester only, not the term. Applications received later than thirty (30) calendar days after the first day of class will not be considered for that semester.

CAUTION: To avoid missing the deadline, do not leave your affidavit and documentation with an office other than the Office of the Registrar. The affidavit and ALL required documentation must be submitted before the end of our business day on or before the deadline date. 

Submit the completed and notarized residency affidavit and ALL supporting documentation to:

Office of the Registrar
113 Sparks Hall
Murray, KY 42071

Phone: (270) 809-3380

Request for Appeal of Residency Status 

There are three steps in the appeal process to allow for due process;

1. The appeal of the initial determination of residency is reviewed by the University Registrar.
 If the decision is Kentucky, or appropriate region/state and county, the appeal is finalized.
 If the decision is nonresident, the student may submit a written request, within fourteen (14) calendar days, to further appeal to the Residency Review Committee. 

2. The Residency Review Committee reviews the determination made by the University Registrar.
 If the decision is Kentucky, or appropriate region/state and county, the appeal is finalized.
 If the decision is nonresident, the student may submit a written request, within fourteen (14) calendar days, to further appeal the determination made by the Residency Review Committee to the Office of the Provost for a formal institutional hearing. 

3. The Provost shall appoint a hearing officer. The student is guaranteed due process, may attend the formal hearing, may provide documentation and testimony, and may be represented by legal counsel. After the formal hearing, the hearing officer will provide the Office of the Provost with his/her recommendation. The Provost will issue a final written decision to the student. The case is closed.

If you are an incoming or readmitting Murray State student, residency questions should be directed to the appropriate Admissions Office.If you are a current Murray State student, questions should be directed to the University Registrar at (270) 809-3380.



1.31. Residency for Tuition Purposes FAQ

Q. How long do I have to live in KY to get instate residency? (I've been living in Kentucky for 1 year.  Do I qualify for instate residency?)
A. Mere physical presence in KY doesn't automatically qualify someone for instate residency. There are many factors the State of Kentucky requires in order to establish residency for tuition purposes.  Many people live in Kentucky, including students from other countries, while going to school but have not established permanent residency in the state.  Please read the state regulations and the other FAQs carefully.

Q. What are the requirements for becoming a KY resident?
A. The State of KY regulates the determination of residency status for admission and tuition purposes for all public colleges and universities in the state. All persons seeking a change in residency status should read this regulation (13KARs:045). KY residency requires a preponderance of evidence supporting permanent residency in the state. State-supported postsecondary education institutions were established and are maintained by the Commonwealth of Kentucky primarily for the benefit of qualified residents of Kentucky. The substantial commitment of public resources to postsecondary education is predicated on the proposition that the state benefits significantly from the existence of an educated citizenry.

Q. How is a determination of residency made?
A. Residency determination is based on the student's (1) financial independence or dependence on parents/guardian, spouse, or other financial resources (aka loans, grants, financial aid), and (2) a preponderance of evidence supporting the permanent domicile of the student or parent/guardian or spouse.

New Admissions or Readmissions - For a newly admitted or readmitted student, residency status is determined by information provided on the admissions application, documents supplied, and other available information. The student should ensure that all pertinent information has been provided. The university will review the available information and determine the student's reisdency status based on the state regulation. If the student then wishes to appeal thaat determination, a completed residency affidavit and required documentation must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar. 

Enrolled Student - A currently enrolled student who wishes to petition for Kentucky residency status must complete the official residency affidavit and provide all necessary documentation to the Office of the Registrar. See the Academic Calendar for deadlines. 

Q. I have not yet been admitted to the University. How do I find out whether or not I will be considered a resident for tuition and admission purposes?
A. The first step is to apply for admission to the University. If you are admitted, you will be notified of your residency classification on your admission letter. The university may request additional information to make the determination of residency. If you are classified as a nonresident, and wish to appeal this determination, a completed residency affidavit and required documentation must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar. A pre-applicant will benefit from reading the residency regulation.

Q. What is the deadline to file a request for residency change?
A. The residency affidavit and supporting documentation should be submitted to the Office of teh Registrar no more than thirty (30) days after the first day of class for the term for which the person is requesting a change in residency status. Tuition bill deadlines will be enforced. Classes could be purged for non-payment. Residency determination may be made after tuition is due. If residency is changed, the student's tuition bill will be adjusted and refunds may be generated, if applicable.

Q. What type of evidence is necessary to establish domicile or residency?
A. Each claim made in support of a request for residency should be supported with written documentation. The affidavit identifies several areas that are to be supported by documentation; as much documentation should be provided to support a residency claim. The required documentation is listed at the end of the residency affidavit.


Q. Can I apply for residency for other states besides Kentucky?
A. Yes. Murray State offers tuition discounts to students whose residency is in one of our regional states - IL, IN, MO, and TN.  The same rules and regulations apply to determining regional state residency as it does to determining Kentucky residency.  The same residency affidavit and supporting documents must be provided.


Q. What is the residency of a dependent student?
A. A dependent person’s residency is that of the parent(s)/legal guardian or spouse.

Q. My parents are divorced (or separated) and one parent lives in Kentucky. Although I was in custody of the parent living out of state, I would like to attend Murray State University as a Kentucky resident. Is this possible?
A. If you are a dependent student, you may take the resident status of either parent, regardless of which parent claims you for income tax purposes or has official custody. In this situation, it will be necessary for you to provide documentation to verify that your parent living in Kentucky is a resident according to Section 10 of the residency regulation.

Q. I'm a currently enrolled student and my parents are moving out of KY. Will my residency change?
A. A student's residency doesn't change as long as the student maintains continuous enrollment at the same degree level. Once continuous enrollment is broken and must be readmitted to the university or if the student changes degree levels, residency is reassessed.

Q. I am married to a KY resident. How do I change my residency to instate?
A. Complete the residency affidavit and supply the required documentation based on your spouse's residency by the deadline.



Q. What must I do in order to be considered an independent person who can establish residency in Kentucky?
A. The student must submit documentation showing ability to provide the necessary financial resources to provide their own sustenance, as defined in Section 1 of 13 KAR 2:045, without dependence on student financial aid (grants, loans, federal work study, or aid) or financial help for any other person (except a spouse) and proof of not being claimed by a parent or other person (except for a spouse) as a dependent or as an exemption for federal and state tax purposes. The conditions for independence are included in the residency regulation along with definitions for “independence” and for “sustenance”.


Q. If I have a driver’s license, vehicle registration, voter registration, and a lease, will I be considered a KY resident?
A. Although they are required as part of the supporting documentation for residency, due to the ease and convenience in completing these acts, they have limited value in a determination that a person is domiciled in and is a resident of Kentucky.

Q. If an affidavit is refused by the institution due to lack of necessary documentation, and the complete file is not resubmitted until after the thirty day deadline, should the institution accept the application for that term?
A. No. However, the student should be informed that the application can be accepted for the following term.

Q. Is there a deadline for a student to submit additional documentation?
A. Yes. A student may supply additional documentation within five (5) business days after being contacted by the Residency Officer for more information. If the Residency Officer does not hear from the student, this may be reason for automatic denial.


Q. What is the definition of full-time employment?
A. At least 48 weeks a year, with an average of at least 30 hours a week, constitutes full-time employment for tuition residency purposes in KY.

Q. What is the residency status of a student if the student, or parents of the student, recently moved to Kentucky for employment reasons?
A. If there is documented evidence that the person received a job transfer to Kentucky, or came to Kentucky because of the acceptance of full-time employment and is financially independent, the student is eligible for residency.


Q. For financial aid eligibility purposes, the definition of independent status may be different from that for residency. Which definition is to be used for residency determination?
A. In cases where student financial aid information differs from that required for residency, follow the KY residency regulation in making residency determinations. The federal financial aid residency definition may differ from the state of KY regulation.


Q. What is the residency of a person (or parent or spouse) in the military?
A. Residency information for members of the armed forces can be found in section 7 of the state regulation.

Q. How is residency status assessed for civilian employees of the military?
A. Residency guidelines for active military personnel do not apply to civilian employees of the military. Their residency is assessed the same as any other non-military individual.

Q. Is a member of a foreign military who is on temporary assignment for special training at a Kentucky military base eligible for residency?
A. No. 13 KAR 2:045 Sec. 7 refers to a member of the Armed Forces of the United States. Residency status for a member of a foreign military is to be assessed in the same manner as a non-military person.


Q. How long after moving from Kentucky does it take to lose Kentucky residency status?
A. A person is presumed to lose Kentucky residency when steps are taken to establish domicile and residency in another state and/or after a one-year absence from the state, unless the person can prove that Kentucky domicile and residency have been attained.

Q. How is it determined that a person has established domicile in another state?
A. The facts and conditions presumed in establishing domicile in Kentucky are the same as determining domicile elsewhere.

Q. What is the residency of a high school student whose parent is transferred out of state but the student remains in Kentucky to finish high school and attend college?
A. A recent high school graduate is presumed to be dependent, and has the domicile and residence of the parent. Therefore, the student entering college under these circumstances is presumed to be a nonresident.


Q. How long do I have to live in Kentucky to become a resident for tuition purposes?
A. Although certain presumptions about residency refer to a period of twelve (12) months, there is no specific time limit for establishing residency and domicile for tuition and admission purposes. The student is responsible for providing convincing evidence that residency and domicile have been established pursuant to Section 10 of 13 KAR 2:045. All information submitted will be reviewed in terms of compliance with the residency regulation, and a written decision will be issued to the student.

Q. If a student attends a Kentucky high school but parents have resided in Kentucky less than one year, what is the residency status of the student?
A. This depends on the reason the parents moved to Kentucky. The dependent student’s residence is the parent’s, and the parent must demonstrate residency according to the regulation.

Q. What is the residency status of the student if the student, or parents of the student, recently moved to Kentucky for employment reasons?
A. If there is documented evidence that the person received a job transfer to Kentucky, or came to Kentucky because of acceptance of full-time employment, the person(s) is eligible for residency.

Q. What is the residency status of a student who graduated from an out-of-state high school, is independent of parents, and has resided in off-campus housing for at least 12 months?
A. If independent status has been documented, the student’s residency must be evaluated on the individual’s circumstance. The reason for coming to Kentucky, full-time attendance at a higher institution, and other facts must be considered.

Q. Can a person be a resident of Kentucky if they have resided in the state less than one year?
A. Yes, depending on the reason for coming to Kentucky. The status of the person as a full-time or half-time student and other facts are considered, not necessarily the length of stay in KY. Mere physical presence in the state for one year is not sufficient evidence to establish domicile and residency for tuition purposes.


Q. Does owning property, purchasing property for my child to live in while enrolled at MSU, owning a business, or working in Kentucky qualify a person for resident classification for tuition purposes, although the person has not been residing in Kentucky?
A. Owning property, operating a business in Kentucky, or working in Kentucky does not qualify a person as a resident for tuition and admission assessment purposes. “Domicile” means a person’s true, fixed, and permanent home and is the place where the person intends to remain indefinitely.


Q. How is residency assessed for an applicant for admission who graduated from a Kentucky high school, lived in Kentucky for at least twelve months, and holds a visa for which residency may be established?
A. Persons holding one of the visas for which residency may be established are able to establish residency the same as other individuals. If the person meets these criteria, they may be assigned KY residency. For a recent high school graduate who is presumed to be a dependent, residency is based on that of the parent.

Q. According to the previous interpretations, a non-citizen (resident alien) cannot extend residency to a non-resident spouse who is here under the F – Nonresident Alien Visa. Does this change in fact of marriage to a Kentucky resident override this fact?
A. No.  The holder of an F Visa cannot obtain Kentucky residency by this means.

1.32. Second Baccalaureate or Associate Degree

Second baccalaureate degree
Students who have earned or are seeking a baccalaureate degree may earn a second baccalaureate degree in a different major or area. The student must complete a minimum of 32 semester hours in residence at Murray State University, exclusive of hours taken toward requirements of the first degree, including any specific departmental requirements, pre-requisites, and co-requirements. A student completing a new major toward a second degree is not required to complete a new minor. Fifteen semester hours of upper-level courses must be earned in completion of the new area or major.  The student may be required to complete additional University Studies courses if they are specifically required for the intended second major or area. A minimum grade point average of 2.00 or above must be earned for all coursework presented in the new program. (Some areas or majors may require a higher GPA for graduation.) Cumulative GPAs are not posted to the transcript of a student completing a second baccalaureate degree or any other work subsequent to the first degree. 

All students seeking a second degree must be appropriately admitted/re-admitted to Murray State University and must get a specific program plan pre-approved by the department chair and dean of their new area or major and by the Registrar's Office. Failure to seek approval in advance from these three parties will likely result in a second degree not being awarded as not all areas and majors will be possible for those seeking the second degree.

Students seeking an honors designation for their second degree must additionally follow the honors requirements for a first degree, including the completion of a total of 45 new hours, 32 of which must be upper-level.  Be sure to see the "Academic Honors for Graduation" listing for complete information. Since a second degree is not possible without the first degree, all undergraduate hours completed (including transfers) will be included in the GPA calculations for the second degree honors notation.

Second associate degree
A student who has earned or is seeking an associate degree from Murray State may earn a second degree in a different planned specialty program upon meeting course requirements for that degree and upon completing at least 24 additional hours in residence at Murray State, over and above requirements for the first degree. The student may be required to complete additional University Studies courses if they are specifically required for the intended second degree. Nine hours must be completed toward a new planned specialty program and a 2.00 grade point average must be earned for all course work presented for the degree. 

All students seeking a second degree must apply for admission/re-admission to Murray State University and must get a specific program plan pre-approved by the department chair and dean of their new area or major and by the Registrar's Office. Failure to seek approval in advance from these three parties will likely result in a second degree not being awarded as not all areas and majors will be possible for those seeking the second degree. 

Note: Graduation honors are not posted for associate degrees
1.33. Submitting Grades on myGate (for instructors)

See the PDF tutorials below for information on how instructors should submit both final grades and incomplete ("I") grades on myGate.


Final Grade Submission Tutorial

Incomplete Grade Submission Tutorial 

1.34. Transcripts (Ordering)

(SSN or MSU M# required)


Murray State University is excited to offer faster service and more delivery options. ALL transcripts will be requested online through the National Student Clearinghouse. There is a small service charge per address for using the online service.

For more information please visit our website.       
1.35. Undergraduate Course Overload Form

Since the maximum load without special approval for other undergraduate students is 19 semester hours, it is not possible to schedule for more than 19 hours via myGate. If an exception is to be made the following criteria must be met:


  1. The undergraduate student must be at least sophomore standing.
  2. The undergraduate student must have an overall GPA of at least 3.00 or have earned at least 12 hours with a 3.0 for the previous semester. 
  3. The undergraduate course overload form must be signed by the student's advisor, college dean and chair.
  4. The signed form must be submitted to the Registration Office in Sparks Hall prior to registration add deadlines. 
Under no circumstances may an undergraduate student enroll in more than 22 semester hours without approval and a letter of justification from the student's dean along with the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.


1.36. Undergraduate Degree Application and Graduation Requirements

Applying for Graduation

Instructions for applying on myGate

•Log on to myGate

•Select the Academics tab

•Select the Apply to Graduate link in the Student Links Channel

•Follow the prompts and at the end of the application you will pay the application fee.

Degrees are awarded in December, May and August. Students must apply for graduation and pay a degree fee via myGate. If the student does not meet graduation requirements, the application will automatically be moved to the next graduation term. Should the student fail to meet the degree requirements by the deadline for that graduation term, the student’s name will be removed from the pending graduation list. It will then be the student’s responsibility to submit a new Graduation Application via myGate by the deadline for the term in which the student plans to graduate. The new application will result in another. All communication regarding graduation status and outstanding degree requirements will be sent to the student through MSU email only.

Undergraduate Students

All undergraduate students (those applying for a baccalaureate or associate degree) are expected to apply for graduation by the dates given below. To apply, a student must complete the graduation application on the Academics tab in myGate. Late applications are accepted at the discretion of the Graduation Office. 

Deadlines for Completing Undergraduate Graduation Applications

May Graduation - Approximately Nov. 1
August Graduation - Approximately March 1
December Graduation - Approximately April 1

**All dates are approximate. The actual date will be given on the university calendar.

All degree applications are checked to make sure the student is taking or planning to take all courses needed for graduation. A RACR (degree audit) is "frozen" and made available to both the student and advisor by following the appropriate Degree Works link. It is the student’s responsibility to follow all instructions given on the degree application. Failure to do so could result in a delay of graduation. Any questions regarding degree application completion, etc., may be directed to the Graduation Office staff.

The Registrar’s Office must be notified in writing if a change in graduation date is expected.

Undergraduate General Requirements

A minimum of 120 semester hours are required for a Baccalaureate degree. Sixty semester hours are required for an Associate degree. Some degree programs may require more.

The minimum number of semester hours required for a baccalaureate degree depends on your catalog declared. The range is between 120 - 128.

MAT 095, MAT 096, MAT 100, MAT 105, ENG 095, ENG 109, ENG 110, GUI 096, GUI 097, INT 110, MAT 118, REA 095, REA 100, and ENG 100 are remedial courses at MSU and do not count toward graduation. Please refer to the academic Bulletin for a complete list of remedial courses. Any student having these courses must take additional credit hours to make up for each one of these courses taken. For example, a student who has taken MAT 100 will need to take another 3 credit hour course.

Forty-two upper level hours (300 level or above) are required.

An overall gpa of 2.0 is required for graduation. Students must also have a 2.0 GPA in courses taken at Murray State.

Students must maintain at least a "C" average (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) in courses used in the major and in the minor.

Students must have completed 40 semester hours at MSU.

Grade changes will not be made after conferral of a degree.

Graduating seniors have five weeks to change an "I" after the end of the graduating semester. Otherwise, graduation will be delayed until the next semester. If the course is not needed for graduation, the "I" may be changed to an "E" and the degree may be conferred.

1.37. Undergraduate Graduation

Undergraduate Graduation


Honors apply only to undergraduate degrees. Students who have achieved a grade point average overall in one of the following categories may be eligible for honors. This GPA must be maintained in Murray State coursework as well. In addition, honors recipients must have earned a minimum of 40 semester hours at MSU. If one of these categories is deficient, the student will not receive honors.

3.40 - 3.59 Cum Laude*
3.60 - 3.79 Magna Cum Laude
3.80 - 4.0 Summa Cum Laude

*Previous to Fall 2015, 3.30 is the minimum GPA for cum laude honors.

It is important to note that if the overall GPA falls in one category and the GPA at MSU falls in another category, the grade point average in the lowest category will be the deciding factor (assuming that all other criteria have been met).

Undergraduate Certificates 

Undergraduate Certificate Program Form


Diploma Format

The size of all undergraduate diplomas is 11 x 14 inches. The degree title will appear in the center of the diploma beneath the name. Majors and minors are not listed on the diploma. Degree honors, if applicable, are printed below the degree title.

Names will be printed on the diploma as they are listed on the application. The general format is first name, middle name, last name. Nicknames will not be printed.

Diplomas will be mailed to the address entered on myGate approximately 6-8 weeks after graduation. The address should be maintained and updated by the student.

Duplicate diplomas

You can NOW order duplicate diplomas online to be mailed to you.

Complete the Duplicate Diploma Request, using a debit/credit card for payment. Cost of duplicate diplomas is $15 ea.

Note: All degrees will be verified for accuracy. Please do not request that your duplicate diploma contain a "nickname". Those requests cannot be honored - only official names will be printed.

For additional information, please contact the Graduation Office at msu.graduation@murraystate.edu.

1.38. Veterans Affairs: Getting Started at MSU

Eligibility for veteran and dependent education benefits is determined by the US Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). The MSU Veteran Affairs Office can help you complete forms and can certify you to the DVA so you can receive benefits.

A student must be admitted to MSU and registered for courses in a degree-seeking program in order to be certified for veteran's and dependent education benefits.

Each semester after registration, students eligible for benefits must complete the Certification Request Form (PDF). Students receiving any chapter of benefit, other than Post 9/11 GI Bill, will also need to complete the Statement of Understanding (SOU). Post 9/11 GI Bill recipients will need to complete the Post 9/11 Statement of Understanding (Post 9/11 - SOU). Both of these forms are MSU forms and not VA forms. A student will be certified during a semester only after he or she completes the above documents. Generally, it takes the MSU VA office up to a week to submit a certification to the Department of Veterans Affairs. It takes the Department of Veterans Affairs 9 to 12 weeks to process that certification.

Eligible veterans, service members, and dependents will need to follow the checklist for the chapter for which they are going to be receiving benefits to ensure timely payment of benefits.

For Benefits Checklists and Welcome Packet Information, please visit the "Getting Started at MSU" website by clicking here.
1.39. Withdrawal From Murray State
Students dropping all classes may do so by accessing the "Withdraw All Courses" link under the Academics tab on their myGate. Students will not be withdrawn from the semester until they have completed this electronic process.  All library books must be returned before a withdrawal form can be processed.  Deadlines apply. View the University Calendar for deadlines.

Withdrawal FAQ

Q. Will I receive a refund?
A. Refund dates are listed in the Refund Table. There is an appeals process to request a refund if there are extenuating circumstances, and it is past the deadline for a specific refund. To appeal for a refund, contact the Bursar's Office for additional information, msu.bursar@murraystate.edu, 270-809-4227.

Q. What if I just quit going to class and do not officially withdraw from school?
A. If you stop attending class and do not officially withdraw for the semester, you will receive failing grades in your courses, which negatively impacts the gpa.

Q. Is there a deadline for withdrawing from the semester?
A. Yes, there is a deadline. The dates to withdraw are listed in the University Calendars. Information on refunds are listed in the Refund Table.

Q. What will show on my transcript when I withdraw from the semester?
A. If you are enrolled in full semester classes only and withdraw during the 1st five days of the semester, your record will indicate only a withdrawal date, with no grades.  Beginning the 6th day of the semester, there will be "W" grades, non-punitive, on your academic record.  Students can withdraw from full semester classes approximately 3 weeks prior to the last day of the semester.  For more detailed information consult the University Calendar.  NOTE: Other sessions within the full semester have separate drop/withdraw deadlines. 

Q. What do I need to do if I am withdrawing from Murray State University?
A. If you are withdrawing from the current semester, you must submit your withdrawal request through your myGate Academic Tab, "Withdraw from all Courses" link.  You will receive an email confirmation to your MSU email account when you have successfully submitted your request and a second email when your request has been processed.  If you do not plan to enroll after the current semester is completed, you will not register for the upcoming semester. Contact the Student Financial Aid Office for more information if you currently have aid. If currently living in University Housing, contact Housing Office for additional information. For further instructions contact Registration at 270-809-2394 or by email at msu.registration@murraystate.edu.

Q. How is my Financial Aid affected?
A. Refer to Return of Title IV Student Aid.

Q. Will I be able to receive financial aid in the future if I withdraw?
A. Any questions regarding future financial aid should be directed to  Student Financial Aid, msu.sfa@murraystate.edu or 270-809-2546.